Mirror on github

May 27, 2010 at 11:27 AM
Hi, I created a simple application using StackOverflow.Net and its repository is on github, so I created a mirror of SO.Net there: http://github.com/svick/StackOverflow.Net. I just thought you might want to know.
Coordinator
May 27, 2010 at 3:31 PM

I am just curious why you need to put the source on github in order to use the library? Can't you just use the compiled assembly from here (codeplex) and check that in to github? How do you plan on keeping your version of the library on github in sync with the main codeplex version?

May 27, 2010 at 4:58 PM
Edited May 27, 2010 at 5:30 PM

I don't actually need it, but I thought that it makes more sense this way, especially when I can use git's submodule feature. And I like to use the source code of libraries, not just .dll, so that I can see what's actually going on and potentially submit bugfixes.

And I can easily keep the mirror in sync using git svn.

Coordinator
May 27, 2010 at 5:06 PM

I can definitely relate to wanting to have the source there when I am developing. Especially with beta quality code. I am not sure, however, that having the full source tree checked in with your project is sustainable over time.

I am not familiar with git's submodule feature. Will it help keep your mirror in sync with the code here on codeplex? What is the flow of code from your mirror of the project back and forth with the main codeplex svn branch?

May 27, 2010 at 5:30 PM
Edited May 27, 2010 at 5:30 PM

The submodule feature allows to have one git repository inside another. So I have the repository for my app and inside it is the library's repository. When somebody updates the app's source from the repository, the library is updated too, to the correct version. (I realize it's the same with .dlls.) It doesn't help with the SVN synchronization.

I don't think there will be any flow from my mirror to codeplex. I don't see it as a branch or fork, just a mirror – exactly the same as the SVN repository, only using different technology. To update the mirror I check out the SVN repository and then commit to the git repository, it's quite simple.

Coordinator
May 27, 2010 at 5:42 PM

Cool. Thanks for taking the time to explain.

Luke